bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: How to increase my readers base for my blog? I recently started writing a blog. It's about many things: travel, food, my perspectives, photography, comics, movies and whatever thing I feel about - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

The workshops I have attended about these types of questions invariably suggest to build readers through Facebook. I have no experience with Facebook.

Another possibility is twitter. This can be used in tandem with your other approaches; one more tool.

On twitter, you can find people with many followers in the topic/field you like (say, fantasy fiction.) You can reply smartly to their posts. Some of their many followers will see your reply, and look at your profile, where you can link to your blog.

You will slowly gain your own followers as well, and these become a resource (and you are a resource to them, too).

Your followers are not all gravy though - there is a lot of chaff that comes with that twitter wheat. At the moment, one year into twitter, I have just under 100 genuine followers. I'm a nobody. But some of those followers are medium size fish in fiction, or otherwise related to what I write. I've asked my followers (whom I also follow back) to beta read and a few have agreed. When I launch a website with a blog, I'll mention on twitter. My followers will see it, and depending on the hashtags I use or whether I mention it within discussions started by 'famous people,' other people will see it too. I would expect some traffic to my site as a result. Some might then bookmark the site.

Patience may be necessary, but this is an idea to consider with the others you've received.

Note: I am surprised by how many authors are blogging basic writing advice. On the one hand it's nice to know there are blog posts out there about 'how to increase tension,' for example, or any number of things to do with writing - on the other hand there seems to be more and more to sift through every day and it's all variations of the same advice. I have no doubt some authors read blog posts on a topic just so they can write their own blog post on a topic, and that feels, frankly, like 'garbage internet' to me. Perhaps find unique topics to blog about to separate yourself from that.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @LarsenBagley300

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best