bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: To read or not to read similar works before write my own? I was thinking if is better or worst to read other works that share similar ideas to the story you want to write before you start - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

My writing is pretty much a hobby too, but with the goal some day to have something publishable. Until then I keep writing and practicing. Maybe that will happen with you if you feel strongly about your ideas.

How clear are the story ideas in your head and how strong is the urge to write them down? If it is clear enough that you can see actual scenes, hear character dialogue, observe scenery and setting details, you may want to go ahead and write it down asap.

If you wait on it you risk losing or forgetting those ideas. I can't count how many scenes or story bits or even just random scenes, or even just random fragments I see in my head that I think I'll remember by the time I get to write them down, but then poof, they're gone.

Now if you have general ideas or scenes that keep coming to mind even if you don't write them down, go ahead and write those down too. I find that helps free my mind of some clutter and go onto the next set of scenes.

But if your idea is just a vague I want to write, but don't have a story in mind, then you may want to go ahead and read stuff first. You may get ideas for your story or you may not.

Either way reading other stories helps, but I find it very hard to do both when I have an active idea buzzing in my head. If that's how your mind works, then it may be a good idea (as suggested in one of the answers) get the framework/ outline of your story done first and then read other stuff when you're stuck, finished, or reached a pause.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Margaret427

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best