bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: How do you communicate to people that writing is a job and prevent interruptions? I’ve been a writer for fifteen years, five as a full-time writer, and still haven’t figured out how to - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

As a working scientist, there are interruptions at the bench all day. As a teacher, people say "Those who can, do. Those who cannot, teach."

I believe there are a number of jobs that do not have the privilege of quietude or respect that you describe. Others, do perhaps, but I suspect that is a 'top dog' quality not a job quality. I bet famous authors don't get phone calls to chat all the time.

As an older person, I am not seen as competitive. As an american, I am occasionally insulted online.

These items are likewise stupid, but normal to being human.

As a writer, I find peace by working from home and turning everything off, and coming online every time my brain needs a moment to process subconsciously, which is happening right now.

Don't answer the phone. Change the message to say "Please call between 7 - 8 pm.

ALSO - Your boundaries will be respected far more easily if YOU KEEP THEM AS WELL. If you are breaking them at your discretion, your friends and family will think its fair game. You need to honor your own guidelines.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @LarsenBagley300

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best