bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Can tables describing data go into the materials and methods section? I have a table that describes a dataset that I use for an analysis. The table describes the sample sizes of each of the - selfpublishingguru.com

10.01% popularity

I have a table that describes a dataset that I use for an analysis. The table describes the sample sizes of each of the four collecting events to create the dataset. It breaks down the dataset into the number of species, genera, families per collection event, and provides so other information. The details of the dataset are important for understanding the results, so I'd like to present it, but I can't decide where it goes. Sometimes when I'm writing the paper it feels like it goes in the results, other times the materials & methods.

What does the community think? Can tables ever be referenced int the M&M section, or are they always results?

Load Full (1)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Si5022468

1 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

10% popularity

If you're describing the way data was collected and how that data is going to be presented, I would say this came under "method". If the table contains data recorded during the tests, I would say "results".

If the table currently contains data, I would think about whether there was a way to present a blank table as part of the method, and a populated table as the results.

"Materials" to me suggests "apparatus", and it doesn't sound like that. If you currently have a section called "Materials and Method", I would consider splitting this into two separate sections.

Load Full (0)