bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Capitalization after use of colon? This is a sentence from a current writing project detailing how people in jail feel about reading. It provides an escape from the reality of what lies before - selfpublishingguru.com

10.04% popularity

This is a sentence from a current writing project detailing how people in jail feel about reading.

It provides an escape from the reality of what lies before them: time.

Should "time" be capitalized? I've seen published examples of both upper and lower case instances during a brief research of the issue.

Load Full (4)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @RJPawlick285

4 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

10% popularity

Lots of opinions here, but let's look to a higher authority. According to the Chicago Manual of Style, the word after a colon is lowercase, even if it starts a complete sentence, unless it's a proper noun.

The exception is when the colon introduces multiple sentences or when it introduces speech.

Load Full (0)

10% popularity

Another thing to consider is the context. For instance, you might be "passing the time by hanging out" or you might be "subjected to the whims of Time". In the former example, time is an object. In the latter example, time is more like an entity... much like how people may refer to "Death", "Life", "Truth", etc. as opposed to "death", "life", "truth", etc.

From the description of your writing project, it doesn't seem like you'd refer to Time, though I'm sure you could if you crafted your writing project that way.

Load Full (0)

10% popularity

I have seen capital letters after colons if what comes after the colon is a full sentence:

These rules have only one purpose: They are meant to humiliate.

If you remove the subject and verb, the word after the colon stays lowercase:

These rules have only one purpose: to humiliate.

Load Full (0)

10% popularity

As far as I've ever seen, no. You don't capitalize the word following a colon, unless it's a proper name.

Load Full (0)