bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Proper forms of address for elderly Russian Several chapters in my book revolve around a widowed Russian countess, age 76, who teaches piano to a 16-year old Russian girl. Let's say the teacher's - selfpublishingguru.com

10.01% popularity

Several chapters in my book revolve around a widowed Russian countess, age 76, who teaches piano to a 16-year old Russian girl. Let's say the teacher's name is Anna Akhmatova Gorenko, and the girl is named Marina Ivanovna Petrov. How would the girl address her teacher since there is no equivalent to "Mrs" in Russian? Would the girl use all three names, 'Anna Akhmatova Gorenko', only the first and second, or, since she is a minor addressing an elderly person, possible 'Madame' Gorenko?

Similarly, what options are available to the narrator when using the teacher's name in a speaker tag? 'Madame Gorenko' would certainly be preferable over the frequent and cumbersome use of both the given and patrynomic names. Is there another option?

(I have not read Tolstoy's Anna Karenina, but in leafing through some pages, I noticed that Stepan Arkadyevitch Oblonsky is often simply tagged as Oblonsky. And 'Count Alexis Kirillovich Vronsky' is frequently just 'Vronsky')

Load Full (1)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Turnbaugh521

1 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

10% popularity

First, Akhmatova (Ахматова en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anna_Akhmatova) is a well known last name of famous russian woman poet. Don't use it as patronymic name, it is odd. Use, for example, Petrovna (Петровна), Sergeyevna (Сергеевна), Olegovna (Олеговна), Ivanovna (Ивановна) etc.

Formal full name is <Last> <First> <Patronymic name>, like
Petrova Marina Ivanovna (name Marina, last name Petrova, father's name Ivan).

Or maybe you wanted to make double surname Akhmatova-Gorenko (Ахматова-Горенко)? Then you need some patronymic name.

Also, you should use right noun declension. Not Petrov, but Petrova. Gorenko (Горенко) last name in russian doesn't change.

At school, children always call their teachers <First name> <Patronymic name> (sometimes don't even remember their last names). For example, I called my geography teacher Irina Veniaminovna (Ирина Вениаминовна), and still call her in that way when we meet.

During first visit Marina should say "Anna <Patronymic>", like Anna Andreyevna.

Appeal to last name only, especially for elders, is disrespectful. But talking about someone using last name is ok.

If people are familiar, they can use first names only (in this case age is just a number). Sometimes (staff, male) you can use only patronymic name. For example "Petrovitch" (Петрович) instead of Valeriy Petrovitch (Валерий Петрович).

When talking about personage, you can call her as you want. Available options depend on narration.

Load Full (0)