bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: First person plural for charisma? I've been writing a friendly tutorial series for a small art software community. Somehow I decided to write it in first person plural, so the entire tutorial - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

Some observations:

When you go to the doctor and he or she says: "How are we feeling today?", what is your reaction to the doctor including themselves in their concern? I feel this way of speaking is both belittling and confusing.
In the past it was common practice to use the pluralis maiestatis to give weight to one opinions, but today most style guides demand that in scientific writing you must clearly name who did what, and not obfuscate the facts by talking of your single self in the plural.
The best and most cherished art tutorials I know all have one artist explaining what they do ("Then I apply ...") and suggesting what their audience might do ("Apply ..." or "Try if applying ... works for you.").

Thoughts:

When you write that "now we do ...", this suggests that you know better than anyone else how things must be done and that your audience must do it the same way if they want to be good. This is both arrogant and false.
When you write that "now I do ...", this suggests that you have found a solution that works for you but that there are other solutions and that you are always striving to get better yourself. Your humility and implied eagerness to keep learning make you more likeable and your advice more acceptable.

Suggestion:

=> Read tutorials and see what style of teaching you enjoy the most. Employ that style (and attitude). Or in other words: Learn from the masters.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Shelley992

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best