logo selfpublishingguru.com

topic : What Genre Category for a Semi-Fictional Memoir? What genre do these types of Memoirs fall under? "Inspired by true events?" ... Is Semi-Fictional Memoir a "thing"? I definitely don't

Jessie137 @Jessie137

Posted in: #Autobiography #Fiction #Genre #Memoir

What genre do these types of Memoirs fall under? "Inspired by true events?" ... Is Semi-Fictional Memoir a "thing"? I definitely don't feel that "fictional autobiography" fits.

I have been writing a lot of short stories that are Memoir-ish, that are based on true events in my life. Because I don't remember every detail, I tried to make some parts of the stories obviously fictional. But, in some stories, it isn't so obvious that parts are fictional. I feel that making it obvious in some stories would be intrusive, and undermine the tone.

I am hoping that applying the proper genre label would be sufficient.

10.03% popularity Vote Up Vote Down

0 Reactions   React

Replies (3) Report

3 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

@Alves689

Alves689 @Alves689

From Wikipedia:

Autofiction usually has a protagonist using the author’s name and combines autobiography with fiction. One famous author of autofiction is Margurite Duras.

10% popularity Vote Up Vote Down

0 Reactions   React

Replies (0) Report

@Samaraweera193

Samaraweera193 @Samaraweera193

This is an autobiographical novel, a novel based loosely on your own autobiography, but without guarantees of fidelity to actual events. It's one of the most famous and successful formats. It is generally considered as a sub-genre of the novel, and filed under fiction. Famous autobiographical novels include David Copperfield (Dickens), Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man (Joyce), To Kill a Mockingbird (Lee), and Invisible Man (Ellison).
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autobiographical_novel

If it isn't long enough for a novel, it still falls under the category autobiographical fiction, which is not the same as "fictional autobiography." The former is fiction inspired by real events, the latter is fiction presented in the form of an autobiography (similar to a mockumentary).

Most publishers don't distinguish between fiction and autobiographical fiction (unless there's a danger someone will sue you for libel!). And most readers who care will assume all your fiction is autobiographical anyway. The general rule of thumb is to not sell something as "non-fiction," "memoir" or "autobiography" unless it's 100% true. Anything less than 100% true is "fiction."
www.writersdigest.com/whats-new/10-ways-to-tell-if-your-story-should-be-a-memoir-or-a-novel

0 Reactions   React

Replies (0) Report

@Murray165

Murray165 @Murray165

Inspired by true events

The thing with memoirs is just that: one person's recollection of an event. This naturally brings in omissions, incorrect recollections, and more than a few times, altered perceptions (we tend to remember the best of ourselves).

"Inspired by true events" has a lot of common use (my wife watches only those movies), so I would personally go with that.

0 Reactions   React

Replies (0) Report

SelfPubGuruLearn self publishing
Back to top | Use Dark Theme