logo selfpublishingguru.com

topic : Blog Timeline for mini stories Does anyone know of any blog tools that incorporate a timeline? What I'm essentially wanting to do is write little short mini stories about my life, but on each

Jamie945 @Jamie945

Posted in: #Blog #ShortStory #Timelines

Does anyone know of any blog tools that incorporate a timeline? What I'm essentially wanting to do is write little short mini stories about my life, but on each blog entry I'd want a timeline to appear above it and it would indicate when this story took place. And users could read the stories in chronological order this way. It seems that a stark majority of blogs focus too much on the date it was authored and no organization about when a blog is about. Any ideas?

10.01% popularity Vote Up Vote Down

0 Reactions   React

Replies (1) Report

1 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

@Kaufman555

Kaufman555 @Kaufman555

The most obvious, simplest and platform-independent way to achieve your request is to format the blog title entries as:

YYYY-MM-DD : title

Another alternative, suggested by Michael Kjörling is to alter the publication date. This works very well if all your blog entries are about events in the past. I have used this approach for a news blog, in which stories about news in the media were published with their original publication date.

There are several wordpress plugins. For instance, this one seems to do the job by placing blog entries on a vertical scroll. It is likely that you may need to still follow Michael's suggestion in order to place things in the correct order.

Finally, if you are using wordpress and feel adventurous enough to try and tweak it yourself, there is a field called "meta" where you can store additional information, and, more importantly, you can retrieve it by modifying the PHP code of your template. You could store a date, retrieve it and display between the title and the main text of the blog post, for instance accompanied by a horizontal progress bar.

10% popularity Vote Up Vote Down

0 Reactions   React

Replies (0) Report

SelfPubGuruLearn self publishing
Back to top | Use Dark Theme