bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: Writing accomplishments on a resume When writing about past accomplishments on a resume on my native language (Portuguese), it is usual to refer to them using a "hidden subject", a phrasal structure - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

It's not formally correct sentence structure, but it occurs in many types of writing and I've not heard of anyone being confused by it.

In a novel, it could be considered part of the narrator's style or character, for example :

I went into town this morning. Walked along the street and went into a
shop. Left after finding there was nothing there that was any good.

In a list - particularly a bullet point list of activities - the subject can be considered implied. Not many people would find it odd if, in a piece of writing that was about Jack and his career in Nursery Rhymes, you were to say :

Worked closely with Jill to ascend a local geographic feature.
Was instrumental in the project of obtaining liquid in a vessel.
Was involved in an industrial incident and suffered a notifiable injury.

[I'm not sure the Nursery Rhyme exists or has an equivalent in Portguese - a search on "Jack and Jill" will give the story.]

Personally (native UK English), I'd find it more noticeable if there was a constant repetition of the pronoun "I", and taking the subject as implied (by the writer) and inferred (by the reader) would come across less strangely than someone referring to themselves in the third person.

It's not formally correct, but it's not wrong and it's not unusual. I'm sure other applicants will also do it.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Karen856

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best