bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Formatting of Text in Technical Writing (Procedure Writing) In a procedure, when describing a UI component, we use the bold font to represent UI components. We also match the text with the letter - selfpublishingguru.com

10.03% popularity

In a procedure, when describing a UI component, we use the bold font to represent UI components. We also match the text with the letter case of the UI component. But do we need to match the font style too? For example, if the UI component is in italic formatting, do we need to write the text in italic characters?

Load Full (2)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Shelton455

2 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

10% popularity

Typically in documentation you would want every UI reference to be styled consistently. This would lead me to think that matching font styles to individual elements is not the ideal approach.

Best practice would be to create a style guide that includes how you are going to indicate a UI element, and adhere to that in all cases. This will help your audience recognize a UI element when they see one in the text.

Load Full (0)

10% popularity

These are style questions and mostly a matter of opinion; but if the matching is intended to help the user recognize the key, then if I were writing a manual I would match the italics, and if possible the font as well.

I presume by "procedure" you do not mean code, but a recipe of action for a human operator to accomplish some goal or outcome.

Load Full (0)