bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: First person pov with more than one main chars I really love -- and most of time write in -- first person point of view. The novel I'm writing is somewhat different from what I'm used to. - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

There's a French sci-fi novel, "La Horde du Contrevent" by Alain Damasio, that does exactly this.

Actually, it's even more complicated than that: there's ~15 protagonists, and each of them may be the (first-person) dominant char for ~10s paragraphs.
When there's a switch, there's only a symbol (not the name!) of the new speaking character.
But there's more: the feat is: each character has a very specific style of speech (poetic, slang, scholar, "normal", funny, ...).

At first, you're a bit lost, but after a few chapters, you can easily guess who is speaking simply by reading 2 ou 3 sentences.
This also make you know the characters as if they were in your real life.

This is a huge piece of sci-fi (everyone I know who read it loved it), and the author has a real linguistic talent. I think it may be translated to English in the next months/years (I wish good luck to the translator!)

The main point is: don't add too much information. Trust the readers. They may love guessing what's happening; this may even be a huge appeal of your book. Don't tell too much, show.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Shanna875

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best