bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: How to describe an everyday routine? I have a character who is living through a very regular everyday routine for a longer time, let's say a couple of months. How do I describe this routine - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

You would do this by mentioning the things he always has to do, preferrably in a dialogue or in a monologue from the character themselves if there are no others around.

Random Person 1: "Hey, wanna watch a movie together?"
MC: "Sorry, can't. I've got to go to the gym at eight. I do that every other day."

or

MC: "Damn, I need to get home to watch [Favourite TV Show]. It's starting in half an hour!"

You would have to weave this into the text, for example by portraying his colleagues at work or friends at a party. It's important to not just give a list of daily activities, if you are not specifically aiming for this sort of extreme rigorous routines.

After you've described everything over the course of maybe a chapter or two you would skip the rest. Repeating the same thing over and over again wouldn't be interesting to your reader and is not important for the story. Just skip it with "A few months of routine later" or something like that.

You can show the routine by going through a few days and shortening the different activities that do not play a big role for each day.

After running his 10km, which felt more like 20 after the exhausting conversation with Karen in the morning, he drank his cup of milk while preparing to watch the big game.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Ogunnowo420

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best