bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: How to describe an everyday routine? I have a character who is living through a very regular everyday routine for a longer time, let's say a couple of months. How do I describe this routine - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

Multiple smaller scenes

You can have your main character play through a number of smaller scenes that present the repetitive nature of the routine. By breaking them up, you can introduce them one at a time, when they become relevant.

Have the character comment about it

The character might comment about it and give a quick run-down. By giving a quick overview, you can then have short scenes that expand elements and present them when the story needs it.

When something changes that routine, the MC - and reader - notice something is amiss.

"I have to get out of here! I can't take anymore of this. I'll run down, bump into Mr Rick and his dog. Then on the train for an hour with those over-perfumed ladies. Work for the unappreciation of my peers and sesame seeds. Then back for TV and a reheated can of ravioli. Let's see... five years now. Yeah, the glorious life!"

This creates a few sub-scenes: Rick and the dog, the train trip, work, watching TV, and the delicious can of ravioli.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Caterina108

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best