bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: Should software product release notes be in marketing voice or technical voice? (software documentation) Typically, the voice of marketing content doesn't match the voice of technical content -- - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

Release notes should be written in the same voice as the User's Guide, online Help, and other documentation -- if they have the same audience -- because all documentation content (more than "voice") is based on audience needs, comprehension level, and purpose.

When I wrote release notes for Citrix Metaframe software, the notes had content, depth of detail, language and terminology that was appropriate for network administrators, because they were the audience. When I wrote "Read Me" files for Mac graphics software, I used language, details, and tone that was appropriate for end-uses and administrators (from a one-person graphic design shop to Boeing engineers) because that's who was going to read them.

"Technical" does not have to be dense, flat, and passive. Precision and clarity do not clash with simple and understandable; they are the same. User-friendly doesn't have to be folksy or informal.

I think the real answer is, don't be afraid to use the word "you" -- talk to the reader -- even in technical release notes. Just be sure you know who "you" is.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Caterina108

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best