bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : You can work around the language barrier the same way we do in real life: have someone act as a translator. There are three ways of introducing such a character: Option 1: The moment the - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

You can work around the language barrier the same way we do in real life: have someone act as a translator. There are three ways of introducing such a character:

Option 1: The moment the need for a translator arises, one of your characters randomly sticks his hand up and goes, "Oh, I speak language X!" Don't do this, except for comedy value (see: Airplane!). It's a lazy deus ex machina.
Option 2: The characters know they'll need someone who speaks language X, and seek them out in advance. This may mean having to create a new character just to fulfil the "translator" role, though.
Option 3: The people who speak language X bring a translator along with them when they meet the protgaonists. This is my personal preference: it's a much less jarring handwave than Option 1.

None of these options are perfect, but of course, there's a reason many fantasy works use the "everyone speaks the same language" handwave: sheer convenience. It annoys me too, though, so kudos to you for breaking the mould.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Cooney417

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best