bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: How do you avoid smiling, head-bobbing characters? Posting on a question about word frequency data, I read an excellent answer from @DPT about avoiding words that become so frequent, they're problematic. - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

(FTR, 21 nods, 53 smiles, 95K. We're pretty close.)

I had a beta read on a few chapters and they said the word usage itself was fine. You may be fine.

A few ideas.

Some nods can be qualified. A half nod, a tilted head considering then nodding. (see the quoted text at the bottom.) I have one character 'tip her head up as if to say 'I told you.' '

But some of my nods really were just action tags for dialog. Those are the problems. They've been deleted or changed. (To that point, they crept in through a variety of efforts to correct other issues, like playing with dialog tags!)

You might be able (if you want) to change your 'example nod' to a low chuckle. Or a knowing chuckle.

"He's a bit of alright, isn't he?"

She chuckled softly in response.

Here's another possibility:

"He's a bit of alright, isn't he?"

Her eyes lingered on him as he walked away. She smiled, and she nodded.

(see what I did there? :-) He's definitely a bit of alright.)

It's got to be balance, right? Too many furrowed brows can be balanced out by changing a few of them to frowns or creased eyes.
I like this reddit thread about the topic. Check that out. Perhaps as part of the process, find a simple action that each character has (like a tic, I guess?) and play with limiting the action to that character. That way, the nods do double duty, if they are limited to certain characters.

Here's a gem (edited) from the reddit thread:

If you pick up one of your favorite authors and start reading with a
mind to this you are going to notice that every single time the book
turns its eye to a character the descriptions used reinforce deep
traits.

No character will ever nod.. They will tilt their head down in a half
nod, jaw set. They will glance around as though trying to find an
answer in the air around them, then look at your eyes and quickly give
a shallow nod of acceptance, or whatever. But what you, and I, were
doing was poor characterization - probably.

(And there's the actual answer, the actual heavy lifting, of going deeper, finding something more evocative about the scene, the interaction, and giving that specific instead of a smile or a nod.)

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @LarsenBagley300

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best