bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: Writing diversity I am writing a military sci-fi novel about an international military force facing aliens. My cast is very diverse: the MC is Yemenite-Israeli, his love interest is German, his - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

You have to work to play against stereotypes (without using another), because readers recognize stereotypes (even if they are not part of that group) and many of us are offended at the writing, on our own behalf or on behalf of others. Or in the modern world (I'm from the USA) often on behalf of people we love: Extended family and friends can include any race, sexual orientation, religious status, political party, or social philosophy. Just because somebody is not black does not mean they don't get it.

First, make sure your character breaks the stereotype of their race or ethnicity; you have to make them an individual.

Second, make sure you don't just make them some other stereotype: A black man adopted and raised by rich white parents, never emotionally wounded or angered by racism directed against themselves. If he fits the stereotype of an upper middle class white guy, that is tokenism too: You have an "Oreo" characters (named after the cookie), black on the outside, white on the inside.

There are other switched stereotypes. A gay man should not be portrayed as if they are a female mind, a lesbian should not be portrayed as if they are a male mind. There are plenty of gay men with manly traits, and plenty of lesbians that are girly. Even though physical brain organization is different in males and females, and (lifelong self-identified) homosexuals show clinical signs of having the opposite gender organization, remember they grew up with different hormones in different bodies in a gender-split culture, so each is their own unique mix of male and female traits (as are most of us).

Likewise, I have met (through the atheist club on my campus, which allowed anonymous attendance) a female raised Muslim that was an atheist.

Third, don't make them perfect. Like other characters, you need to give them strengths and weaknesses; they can be the best at something, but don't make them perfect in every sense.

They need flaws (bad traits they can work to overcome) and limitations (things they cannot do even if they wanted to) like everybody else, or they aren't relatable or real. And the flaw is not modesty about how great they are, it needs to be something that can in some way defeat them or deny them their goals or happiness. In figuring that out, make sure the limitations are not drawn from stereotypes, either; for example women that don't have physical strength, or courage, or need a man to grant them power.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Mendez196

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best