bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: Are there tools/software for planning your story using nested mindmaps and references to characters? I've been looking for a certain piece of software for a long time, but I never quite found - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

All software is limited by
a. what the software creator allows you to do with it, and
b. screen real estate.
Like you I am a person who needs to organize their notes both visually and spacially. Having information off screen – either in parts of the current file that lie outside the viewing area because I have zoomed in or in other windows behind the current one or even in other files in other software – makes organizing my mind impossible for me. And being unable to draw lines and order the content of a file whichever way I want makes all software that I have reviewed a severe hindrance in creative thinking.
The most flexible and versatile tool that I have found for me is
pen and paper
Many of my notes and ideas are handwritten in notebooks or on small slips of paper, others I have on a computer and print out and cut into sections with scissors. I then sit on the floor and play with these snippets until they are in the order I want them to be. Sometimes I glue some pieces together, or number them, or whatever I want.
Here is an image (from some group effort at brainstorming, but it shows what I mean):

Other people like to combine a whiteboard and post-it:

You can take a photo, if you want to preserve a certain state of the process. What I do is order my notes into a special binder (in German it is called Vorordner):

There are "pockets", often either numbered or labelled alphabetibally, into which I put the notes for chapters (one pocket = one chapter), characters (one pocket = one character), or steps (in a screenplay). That way they stay organized. I can take out the notes for one section, add to them or reorganize them elsewhere. When I'm done planning, I begin to write from these notes, one pocket at a time, or work the relevant information into another format, either on paper or in an electronic file.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Murray831

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best