bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Is shaking of the head positive or negative? When you say a character shook their head, does that mean they nodded, as in "yes", or they shook it sideways, signifying the answer is "no?" - selfpublishingguru.com

10.04% popularity

When you say a character shook their head, does that mean they nodded, as in "yes", or they shook it sideways, signifying the answer is "no?"

Load Full (3)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Angie602

3 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

10% popularity

For me it works like this.

A nod is primarily a signal of positive empathy.
A shake is primarily a signal of negative empathy.

If someone says something good and you want to confirm that, you nod.
If someone says something good and you want to deny that that, you shake your head.

If someone says something bad/horrible and you want to confirm that you shake your head.
If someone says something bad/horrible and you want to deny that, you distance your self by not giving any feedback.

Load Full (0)

10% popularity

Also a popular acronym: Urban Dictionary: smh

Acronym for 'shake my head' or 'shaking my head.' Usually used when someone finds something so stupid, no words can do it justice. Sometimes it's modified to 'smfh' or 'smmfh' by those that prefer profanity in their internet acronyms.
trick1: i got a headache...i hit myself in the head with my knee while trying to do situps.

trick2: smh

Basically shaking ones head at a loss for words or in utter disbelief. Hardly likely to mean yes.

Load Full (0)

10% popularity

From personal experience (central Europe) I would say that shaking your head is normally a "No" and nodding your head is normally a "Yes". But looking through English.SE: When moving one's head to answer a question does “nod” mean yes and “shake” mean no?:

Head movements vary in their meaning depending on the culture in question. In general, in countries where English is the native language, a "nod" (not a "node") is an up and down movement of the head meaning "yes." A head shake is a side to side movement meaning "no." At least for most English speakers in Britain and America, a nod never means no, and a shake never means yes. This is somewhat oversimplified and variations exist, but for the most part, the basic pattern is as I have stated it.

As a writer you should make sure that there are other clues for the reader to show what the intention is. For example you could add that the character is "shaking their head in disagreement" or "nodding enthusiastically".

Load Full (0)