bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Good report making software I am reaching the final stage of my academic project work. Usual practice is to use Microsoft Office/OpenOffice/LibreOffice for preparing the final project report. As - selfpublishingguru.com

10.03% popularity

I am reaching the final stage of my academic project work. Usual practice is to use Microsoft Office/OpenOffice/LibreOffice for preparing the final project report. As I am inclined towards FOSS I am using LibreOffice. I am aware of LaTeX/LyX but despite of greater control it offers I find them complicated.

My report mainly comprises of text, several images which occupy 25-50 percent of pages and small number of equations. Number of pages would be less than 150. Automatic generation of table of contents, good font support, easy margin/alignment settings, facility to export to PDF are a must.

Other than the applications mentioned above are there any others which will work on Linux? I am just impressed by the features offered by Scrivener for Mac users. Is an alternative for Linux available?

Load Full (3)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Hamaas631

3 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

10% popularity

You could also take a look at Lyx. It combines the power of Latex with a usable GUI that also shows you your mark-up.

Load Full (0)

10% popularity

Abiword is available for Linux. It's a word processor like he others you have mentioned. It also makes Latex a little bit less complicated, because it can generate Latex files. E.g. you can enter the Latex syntax for equations, if you like that and ignore the Latex syntax for the rest of your document.

Here is a small introduction.

Load Full (0)

10% popularity

There is a Beta version of Scrivener for Linux you can use, located here: literatureandlatte.com/scrivenerforwindows/
(Download button is about half way down the page).

Edit: Oh, and obviously, it is a Beta version, so be sure to make backups regularly if you do plan on trying it out. Wouldn't want your academic work to disappear due to a bug!

Load Full (0)