bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: Intentionally leaving out a part of the story, for a more interesting reveal? In the story I am writing, I have a character who is working on a project and will present it to a group of - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

It definitely helps that the story is for adults, not YA.

Perhaps the answer is to promise that puzzles will be part of the story you are telling, and this project is one such puzzle.

I'd consider making three puzzles in the story, the one you have here, which may be the 'big' one, and its reveal is later in the story.

Early on, Chapter one, your first person character can say "My life has always been a puzzle." (Promise implied.)

Puzzle 1: Chapter one can have a simple resolved puzzle through its chapter arc, that the reader may or may not realize is supporting your promise that you are writing with puzzles in mind.

Puzzle 2: A second puzzle can be woven in, which resolves around mid-book.

Puzzle 3: Your project, which has clues throughout, is the third puzzle. Aim for about a quarter to half (?) of the readers figuring it out - Make it a smart puzzle - and then the reveal should be the "Oh! How did I not see that?' moment for the reader.

-> I think this could work. Execution would be key.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Kaufman555

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best