bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: Where's the middle ground between genre conventions and originality? I've long been interested in writing a fantasy novel. Over the countless iterations I've gone through, one thing has remained - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

if I intentionally go against the genre conventions - for any genre, not just fantasy - where do I draw the line?

I believe there are two types of conventions for any genre. Some are essential - without them, you don't have the specific genre you're after. Some are traditional - tropes, clichés or smart twists on those.

Feel free to drop the traditional ones and keep only the essential ones. That, IMO, is the line you're talking about.

While lack of originality means you're far from the line, originality doesn't necessarily mean you're about to cross it. You may choose to keep some traditional conventions, revamp some and even create new ones (though that is getting harder and harder). Mix the old and the new, if need be.

As for which conventions are essential and which are traditional... well, you'll have to study the genre and figure that out yourself (unless someone has done it and is willing to give you a summary). However, do keep in mind that some conventions are universal to all genres (eg. archetypes), but each genre will dress those conventions in different robes (ie, conventions within conventions).

I would now like to mention the elves you present as an example. When I was a teen, I started writing a fantasy tale involving elves and dwarves. A few years later I read Tolkien and was completely dismayed because my elves and my dwarves were so similar to his, but I didn't want to cross out the whole tale. What to do?

First, I listed the characteristics of elves and dwarves in Tolkien and other popular fantasy tales and compared them to mine. Then I brought in science and checked which characteristics were truly essential to my two peoples. I changed their names.

My Cave People are now stocky, dark-skinned, cave-dwelling, expert masons and jewlers, but they are a spiritual people and have delicate customs to balance the brutality of their environment. They'll fight valiantly, but would rather avoid bloodshed. They prize music, meditation and fine intelects.

My Prairy People are tall and slim, and they prize themselves for being in balance with nature... but they will also savagely destroy anything (or anyone) they deem evil. They take pride in their civilisation, but are burdened by strict rules. They favour music, fine intelects and all sorts of art.

Neither people have super-powers, and lots of individuals find themselves lacking in characteristics deemed the essence of their culture (which means you can find, eg., short Prairy People and slim Cave People).

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @LarsenBagley300

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best