bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: Ramifications of using real public people as characters in fiction? So the story I want to write can really only be written in one of two ways. Basically it's the modern world, a handful of - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

If you were to use a name like "President Ronald King," the reader should be able to pick up on your social commentary. In addition, it can show the reader what you think of him [Trump] and how you want to portray him.

An example that I can think of off the top of my head is Terry Pratchett's work in his Discworld novels. He uses fantasy as a means for social commentary. Take his novel Moving Pictures, he uses Holy Wood instead of Hollywoood, Blown Away as a parody to Gone With the Wind.

You are writing a fiction piece, after all. Might as well take advantage of that, and play around with names that resemble the real life people/institutions you want to portray in the way you want to portray them. The added bonus is that you don't have to worry about legal ramifications, which seems to be your main concern.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Murray165

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best