bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: Can I use the name Valerian in my sci-fi novel? I have an Ancient Roman theme with the names of my characters, however someone pointed out to me Valerian is already a scifi character's name. - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

Don't worry about it, and see what your beta readers think

Names are easy to change* late in the editing process. Use whatever name you are most comfortable with, and see if the name throws your beta readers out of the story. If it bothers them, then you're just one "find and replace" away from a new name.

If you're worried about it, then try to introduce the name after a number of other character names have been mentioned. Surrounding the name with similar sounding names will strengthen the Roman associations and weaken the distracting effect of outside media.

Also, is Valerian the totality of their name? The more often they're referred to as "Captain Valerian" or "Gaius Valerian" or whatever the weaker the associations to the comic character will be.

*Usually. If you're trying to include their name in a rhyming prophecy or attach other symbolic meaning to the name it becomes harder.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Connie138

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best