bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : How can one get better at copywriting? Since copy is such a key part of a startup's website, many business people would like to learn to be good copywriters personally. Such a person would - selfpublishingguru.com

10.02% popularity

Since copy is such a key part of a startup's website, many business people would like to learn to be good copywriters personally. Such a person would need to be a good persuasive writer, and able to convey information about their product or service very concisely.

If someone whose primary background is not writing wanted to learn to be a great copywriter, what resources would you recommend they use? Free and paid resources are fair game.

Load Full (2)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Michele605

2 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

10% popularity

I recommend:

Influence by Robert Caldini

The AdWeek Copywriting Handbook by Joseph Sugarman

I have other books on my shelf, but have not read them, so cannot recommend them yet.

Load Full (0)

10% popularity

This might sound strange, but being a copywriter isn't really about WRITING. It's about persuasion.

Read books on rhetoric, argument, and logic. This will teach you the basic underlying structure of persuasive communication.

Listen to great speeches by influential people. This will let you see with your own eyes how basic rhetorical techniques are used to persuade and inspire. TED Talks is a great resource for speeches. I also have a particular soft spot for Daniel Dennett.

Research psychology and neuroscience and how these disciplines are used in marketing. This will teach you how rhetorical techniques affect our brains. Understanding brain science will help you use your powers of persuasion more effectively (and responsibly).

Load Full (0)