bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: Can I make a character make a philosophic observation or say their opinion, even if it's unnecessary for the plot/story? I have a character in my story who has the habit of making philosophic - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

Plot and story are not necessarily the same thing - if the story is about a change (or absence of change) to a character, the thoughts they are having would be relevant.

Even if it's not fundamental to the story and the character is not one of the major characters, their thoughts might work in a similar way to a comedy sidekick's activities (though both of these have potential to become distracting and annoying, so I'd urge caution if this is the case).

It's always worth wondering whether something moves the story along, but it might be that the things with the greatest relevance are a casual word spoken over dinner or a surprising thought. Whether this is a good idea here will depend on how significant the thoughts of this character are to what really happens between the beginning and the end.

There's certainly a case for deeper thoughts, but it will depend on what kind of story you're writing. Without philosophical musings Thoreau's Walden would have read like a camping manual, and Pirsig's Zen and the art of motorcycle maintenaince would have been about Buddhism and bikes.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Karen856

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best