bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: Can I make a character make a philosophic observation or say their opinion, even if it's unnecessary for the plot/story? I have a character in my story who has the habit of making philosophic - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

Yes.

These observations may not advance the story, but they are a part of this character. They contribute to fleshing out the character and are your version of "show, don't tell" - instead of describing that the guy is always philosophizing, you show him doing it.

Also yes, if you, the writer, feel that this is something you want to share with the readers. Remember that the story is only the vehicle of the meaning that you are trying to convey. If this observation contributes to the underlying meaning, and can be given in this way without being part of the story, go ahead and do it.

For example, there is an entire second book hidden inside "1984" by George Orwell. Entire pages from it are read by the protagonist, and while they flesh out the background of both the world and the character, they are not strictly necessary for the story. But they transport the actual meaning of the book.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Candy753

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best