bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: Writing a Super Intelligent AI Something I have been thinking about recently is how to write a character who is an artificial intelligence and not have him feel human. Specifically an AI who - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

The first step should be examining why the super-intelligent AI acts like a human at all. Was it designed just to pass a Turing test, be an interface for natural-language programming, make entertaining YouTube vlogs? It only needs to "act human" to a degree which allows it to achieve it's intended function, and unless that function is something like replacing an existing human as a doppleganger sleeper-agent that required degree is probably quite minimal.

For example a natural-language programming interface could be improved with a built-in desire to not see humans being injured. Such an AI would analyze and report if programs it was given could cause hazardous situations, which is helpful. You wouldn't want this human-like behavior to extend far enough to lead to the AI refusing to execute potentially dangerous programs though, computers not doing what they're told is not helpful.

One particular human trait sci-fi authors are fond of giving an AI for no specified reason is a desire for self-preservation. Even if your AI's programmers haven't seen The Terminator they'll likely recognize that this feature probably does not add value to the product.

Even an AI designed exclusively to be as human as possible will only have the human traits that its designers considered important. I know that if I were designing a person I would be reluctant to give them flaws.

I wouldn't worry much about not being able to comprehend it's vast intelligence. More intelligence mostly means the ability to think and recall memories more quickly and to consider things from more perspectives. A feeble human author can compensate by considering the character's actions more thoroughly. What's more important to worry about is what the AI's base motivations are and how those differ from a human. To this end I think you should be concerned primarily with narrowing down which human instincts and feelings the AI has been programmed to have and restrain the character's ability to respond to or plan things only to human behaviors influenced by them.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Pierce369

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best