bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: Writing a Super Intelligent AI Something I have been thinking about recently is how to write a character who is an artificial intelligence and not have him feel human. Specifically an AI who - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

Language on steroids
One of the things that holds humans back is that our thoughts are constrained by our language. We don't have a word for, say, "the cost of doing rigorous analysis compared to making an estimate", but such a word could make certain ideas far easier to produce and discuss. We create new words at a slow rate, because it is hard for new words to become accepted as part of our language. But an AI could create billions of new words and use many of them frequently. Of course, it would translate its conclusions to English making appropriate simplifications. The AI's "words" could all have a measure of probability, degree, importance, and so on attached to them so it could effortlessly operate with statistics and nuance.
One way to imagine this is to take various competing scientific theories and rather thank thinking of them as competing theories, think of them as systems of concepts and words. By inventing words, the AI invents new branches of science, new theories. It all happens in one mind, rather than in dozens of human minds. (Although perhaps what is going on is one mind creating a thousand copies of itself and sharing results.) Effectively the AI is far ahead of all of human science, even in the absence of conducting experiments, because it can come up with new theories and analyse them using existing data. These advanced theories then co-exist in a worldly, rather than narrow-minded, perspective.
Imagine a case where a husband is accused of killing his wife. Personality evaluations have shown him to be impulsive, there is a history of domestic violence, he seems unaffected by her death, but claims innocence.

Oh Deep Mind, is this man innocent or guilty?

Innocent, with confidence 86%.

Why?

The evidence which has been presented is misleading. The man hated his wife, of course. Humans feel a need to find meaning in tragic events like a death. It is satisfying to bring murderers to justice, which greatly biases the inquiry.
The personality evaluation in fact helps to lend support to his innocence. The man's impulsiveness means he has plenty of experience staying on the right side of the line. He may have plenty of scars, tattoos, and a few misdemeanors behind him, but he has never committed any serious offences. (My assessment is that his prefrontal cortex remains active when he senses serious risk, meaning that he can and does modulate his impulsive behaviour in such circumstances. I am 90% confident about this assessment; I have taken into account facts that include the lack of poor-quality tattoos and how his behaviour when enraged in court stopped short of acts that might have serious consequences that were not immediately obvious. I can provide further details and statistics on request.)
The history of violence reflects a dysfunctional relationship. The man is clearly happy to have escaped the relationship. Perhaps his wife threatened to reveal some secrets if he left, or otherwise coerced him to stay with her. I am 88% confident that, had the man killed his wife on impulse, we would have seen his regret, at least due to the fact it might send him to jail. However, he appears relieved, which is much more consistent with his innocence. There is a third option; namely that he planned her death, however I am 93% confident this did not occur, as no precautions were taken to avoid getting caught.

This is not a fantastic example but hopefully you are getting the sense that the AI has very advanced, accurate thinking and has to make compromises to translate it into our clumsy language.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Moriarity138

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best