bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: How to portray a passively arrogant character? How can I portray a character who does not actively seek attention, but is still vain and self-superior? Since I don't know how much information - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

The way I did it when one of my character was (temporarily) suffering from an over-inflated ego was to change his assumptions. Questions about the world disappeared and were replaced by certainty that there was only one interpretation and he knew it.

So, faced with an angry crowd, he never stopped to ask what made them angry. He knew it and immediately acted accordingly. He was wrong and things went south, but he adapted the facts, not his belief. Instead of saying "oops, I was wrong", it was "ok, they are THIS angry, I need to do more of that same thing.".

An arrogant person is most visible as one who knows all the answers, and thinks that he does everything right.

If you use introspection (as I did), you can show this absolute certainty clearly in the thought process. If you don't, you need to show the character not listening to advise, always knowing everything, not even letting other people finish speaking before he throws in the truth and walks off without waiting for an answer (because what answer could there possibly be?).

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Sue2132873

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best