logo selfpublishingguru.com

topic : How long should a memoir be? I am writing my first memoir about my life as a christian and how affected I was by it as an empath and how I came to desire leaving it. Is there a minimum

Looi5811334 @Looi5811334

Posted in: #Memoir #NonFiction #Wordcount

I am writing my first memoir about my life as a christian and how affected I was by it as an empath and how I came to desire leaving it. Is there a minimum length for memoirs?

I cannot estimate at his point how long it will turn out but I have a feeling it's going to be much less than 65000 words. Is that okay?

10.04% popularity Vote Up Vote Down

0 Reactions   React

Replies (3) Report

3 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

@Jennifer354

Jennifer354 @Jennifer354

Don't judge your writing by some arbitrary word count. The only issue is whether the reader insists on reading all the way to the end. Leave out the parts that people skip.

10% popularity Vote Up Vote Down

0 Reactions   React

Replies (0) Report

@Si5022468

Si5022468 @Si5022468

F1Krazy had a great point here relating to not being restricted to word count. If you are looking for something more numeric, this article recommends 65,000 on the low side and 90,000 on the high side. However, the article does mention that some people have short memoirs. Don't let word count kill your book. It only needs to be as long as needed.

0 Reactions   React

Replies (0) Report

@Michele605

Michele605 @Michele605

How long should a memoir be? The same length as any other piece of prose: exactly as long as it needs to be to tell the story you want to tell. No more, no less. Don't feel like you have to omit any important details to avoid your memoir being too long, and don't feel like you have to pad it out with unnecessary information to avoid it being too short.

0 Reactions   React

Replies (0) Report

SelfPubGuruLearn self publishing
Back to top | Use Dark Theme