bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : There have been some observations of business writing/interaction that suggest that women apologize more in business settings and interrupt less. But I wouldn't consider that to be especially - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

There have been some observations of business writing/interaction that suggest that women apologize more in business settings and interrupt less. But I wouldn't consider that to be especially useful in building voice. I have 3 or 4 female characters and their voices are about as different from each other as they are from my male characters.

The tool I've found most useful so far for giving each character a voice is paying attention to the things they notice that other characters don't.

I have one character that pays a lot of attention to how people look and what they're wearing, while most of my other characters don't care most of the time. Some characters observe human behavior more closely, while others are inside their heads more. A more paranoid character may scan each room searching for threats or evaluating its safety. A wide-eyed naive character maybe be looking around with wonder. For both characters, you'll need to describe their surroundings, but the feeling will be very different for the paranoid character vs the naive character.

Most of the time gender differences will be irrelevant compared to other personality factors. The only time I could see it being a factor is if your character is interacting with the opposite gender (or maybe with a biological process or illness), but even that will vary depending on specific attitudes and baggage.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Hamaas631

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best