bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Technical Writing Software I'm interested in newer software/software stack to use in writing technical papers. For the longest time I have been use LaTeX to handle this but in looking at getting - selfpublishingguru.com

10.09% popularity

I'm interested in newer software/software stack to use in writing technical papers. For the longest time I have been use LaTeX to handle this but in looking at getting longer pieces published, such as books, other software is being used. The one that stands out the most so far is DocBook.

So the question is what software/stack of software is common for book authors of technical subjects using to write.

Edit: I primarily work on Mac. While using software in a VM isn't out of the question, unless there's not alternative it wouldn't be my first choice.

Edit: items indicated...

Framemaker only onWindows
<oXygen/>
Abortext Editor was Epic, looks like total over kill now

Load Full (8)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Ogunnowo420

8 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

10% popularity

I use ClickHelp for technical writing. It is a browser-based documentation tool used to create online user manuals, knowledge bases, help files, FAQs, tutorials and publish them instantly in their portal. Otherwise, you can also export your writing in different formats.

There is no need to install anything.

This documentation tool has all the powerful features you may need for larger projects:

Password-protected online help.
Easy importing and exporting. The
most popular formats like HTML, CHM, PDF, DOCX, DOC, RTF, EPUB, etc.
are supported. So, if you want to move from another tool, you can
import your documents and that’s all.
Powerful Full-Text Search.
ClickHelp has its own patented full-text search that helps you and
your readers find topics easily, it also supports wildcard and also
if you need, it’s possible to exclude specific topics from full-text
search results.
Reporting. ClickHelp has internal analytics that will
help you measure team performance metrics and analyze end-user
behavior statistics.

If you're interested, you can look through features here.

Load Full (0)

10% popularity

FrameMaker, while being the old industry standard, does not support right-to-left languages.

Madcap Flare has been touted for a years on the TECHWR-L forum as an alternative to FrameMaker. I have never used it, so I can't evaluate it.

Adobe InDesign is getting better at working in the same space as FrameMaker, but it's not there yet.

Load Full (0)

10% popularity

Another option is to rely purely on XML, validate against a schema, transform into HTML then apply different CSS sheets for different deliverables (i.e. web, print, mobile and embedded help).

Load Full (0)

10% popularity

The best text editor for a text with formulas is definitely TeXmacs.

It has good rendering and powerful system of macroses.

TeXmacs is not a LaTeX editor but it has import and export for LaTeX format.

Load Full (0)

10% popularity

Check out Scrivener. I believe it can generate DocBook-format, though its true strength is in researching/creating a document, not editing formulas.

Load Full (0)

10% popularity

Look into Lyx. This is a GUI front end that puts out document files in various formats expecially Latex. You can create a DocBook format document by exporting as SGML and then converting it.

See wiki.lyx.org/LyX/DocBook

Load Full (0)

10% popularity

As Viktor said, FrameMaker is probably the best widely-used tool for doing what you're trying to do. Another (Windows-only) tool that I'm using now is Madcap Flare, but it's pretty pricy.

Other considerations:

DocBook is a spec, not a tool (as Viktor said). It is XML, so you can use any XML editor to write content. Possibilities include XML Notepad (free), XML Spy (used to be free, not now?), Oxygen ($), Epic ($$). (Personally I just use Emacs, but my coworkers think I'm weird. :-) )

To get from DocBook XML to usable output you'll need some transformation step. We use XSLTProc to generate HTML and XEP ($) to produce PDF. (The actual chain there is XML -> FO (formating objects) -> PDF.) We rolled our own build scripts for this, using style sheets and other resources downloaded from the DocBook site where we could. There might be better off-the-shelf support now (we build this about seven years ago), but since you mentioned being willing to roll your own, I wanted to note that it is doable.

Load Full (0)

10% popularity

The answer depends a lot on what you have around you and what your needs are; assuming that

You don't have extensive needs beyond Latin-1 and Math character sets, or simple use of Unicode character sets
You don't have a need for overly-rich or complex page layouts (i.e. you're not doing page layouts that you'd see in a glossy magazine)
You don't have external format/structure requirements that would conflict
Your main operating environment is Windows

Then, Adobe FrameMaker is probably the best, first choice for long, technical documents.

Adobe has over the past few years orphaned pared off all the previous supported platforms for Frame (the 68K/PPC MacOS, brief flirtation with Linux, various Unices one at a time) to the point where it's not worth considering if you're not on Windows. (And sadly, historically speaking, I thought the branch of Frame they developed on Windows was not nearly as robust or as easy to use as the version of it on Mac, or Unix, but things may have improved now that they're really only supporting one platform for it.)

I have never used any tool that makes the writer's job as easy, end-to-end. There are better tools for page-layout, better tools for just the writing end of things, better tools for large scale, structured content-management, but if what you're trying to do is write a sizeable technical document, from scratch, and be able to produce reasonably flight-ready PDF you can pass to a publisher or print-house, then FrameMaker has been and still is pretty peerless.

DocBook is a specification for document structure more than it's a software stack, so writing with the DocBook structure would still require you to have a toolchain of some sort. The version of FrameMaker that supported structured editing did, I believe, support using the DocBook structure and let you produce SGML output instead of, or in addition to, "printable" output (i.e. PDF or PS). However, using Frame's structured features were, in my experience, significantly challenging and finicky: unless you have a firm requirement for fully structured source, or for passing DocBook to your publisher system, I'd question the need for it in your shoes.

Load Full (0)