bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : What is the use of "Ends." to indicate the end of a document? I recall seeing the word "Ends." placed at the end of documents to indicate that, obviously, nothing else follows. Is - selfpublishingguru.com

10.04% popularity

I recall seeing the word "Ends." placed at the end of documents to indicate that, obviously, nothing else follows. Is this acceptable standard usage? It feels rather archaic (not that that's necessarily a bad thing), although it does serve a purpose. Are there any alternatives?
An example:

[...] just and truly free South Africa will be remembered by many generations to come” said Chief Justice Mogoeng.
Ends.
Enquiries

Load Full (4)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Ogunnowo420

4 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

10% popularity

It is part of the standard way of finishing a press release. Some of these formal documents still use these conventions.

It comes, I think, from the time when press releases came on a teleprinter, and it was important to mark the end, so that it was clear to the recipient that the entire release had been received.

Load Full (0)

10% popularity

### and --30-- are/were used as industry-specific conventions to standardize and add quality controls to copy.

fin and various ornamental dingbats are used on the finished product, for the viewers help in recognizing the end of an article, book, section, chapter, film, etc. Again, certain conventions are established for each industry, and of course these evolve with time.

Load Full (0)

10% popularity

It's usually a full square that ends fx a news article. I believe there exist different kinds of text ending marks for different writing cultures, styles and genres. Take a look at these:
answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080903084042AAakPtI desktoppub.about.com/cs/intermediate/a/endsigns.htm desktoppub.about.com/od/glossary/g/End_Sign.htm

Load Full (0)

10% popularity

I've seen two or three hash marks ## or -30- at the end of press releases and news articles.

Load Full (0)