bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Can I use LaTeX in a fictional code-weaving? I'm working on a magic system that works with weaving types of power. The most commonly used power source is a magical code. I'm trying to base - selfpublishingguru.com

10.03% popularity

I'm working on a magic system that works with weaving types of power. The most commonly used power source is a magical code. I'm trying to base this code off of latex. LaTeX is a math code that is based on TeX. It's useful because it allows complex equations and all sorts of symbols, arrows, etc.

I'm wondering: if I'm going to use LaTeX (pronounced: Lay-tech) for my base and want to be able to insert these symbols into my writing by using the code in my actual drafts (not as a base for all of my writing, but as a base for when I want to insert "magical" symbols), what writing platform could I use that accepts both regular writing (fonts, bold, italicize, good for 200-page documents) and the LaTeX math code?

I experimented and found that three symbols: Alt+= allow LaTeX symbols in an equation in Word. However, I have the problem of fonts. I was interested in the mathbb font in particular, especially with the effect it gives to letters. Does anyone have a solution to getting a LaTeX font in Word?

Load Full (2)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Lee1909368

2 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

10% popularity

Another option is LyX, which I use to write novels. I feel it has advantages even if one doesn't want to include LaTeX formulae. For example, chapters are numbered automatically, and you can hide content in LyX notes and LaTeX comments, so your novel document can also contain private notes to yourself and old text you're removing but might want to use again later.

Load Full (0)

10% popularity

...what writing platform could I use that accepts both regular writing (fonts, bold, italicize, good for 200-page documents) and the LaTeX math code?

Many LaTeX editors support "regular writing". I use TeXstudio myself. Things like bold, italics etc. require LaTeX code, but most software packages like TeXstudio give you nice buttons and hot-keys to make the migration easier.

Does anyone have a solution to getting a LaTeX font in Word?

It looks like your question has been asked before over on TeX.SE - How to use LaTeX in Word. From one of the answers there, it seems that it may be possible to run some LaTeX code in Word 2016.

You will likely find the support on Word is insufficient. If so, consider rendering your LaTeX code and then import clippings into Word as images. You will have to do something similar if you intend to publish to epub or mobi anyway.

If you want to publish to pdf or send your copy to a typesetter for printing, you will find you have greater flexibility by migrating your copy from Word to a LaTeX editor.

If you're dealing with a publisher, they may not want to deal with the cost and difficulties of incorporating your symbols. That is a conversation I would suggest you have with them early on in the process.

Load Full (0)