bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Well, first off, like ItWasLikeThatWhenIGotHere mentioned, make sure to be careful with how you portray a real person. There are many possible ways to mess up, not least of which is libel - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

Well, first off, like ItWasLikeThatWhenIGotHere mentioned, make sure to be careful with how you portray a real person. There are many possible ways to mess up, not least of which is libel which was mentioned in the previous answer.

However, and I have said this before: don't make the reader look things up in order to understand the story! It completely breaks immersion if I have to go look up what a particular person looks like, even if that is just a short Internet search away. Just don't. It's okay if the reader has the option to do that (one of my favorite authors regularly slips little real-life tidbits into her writing), but don't make them do it.

Instead, describe the individual as they appear within the story. This doesn't need to be excessive (you might want to check out my question At what point does a POV character noting their surroundings go from showing/telling to an infodump? for some discussion on a closely related issue), but it should be enough to get some idea of what the person they're describing looks like. You can then, depending on your point of view character and how they relate to this individual, write something appropriately-voiced along the lines of "the way s/he looked made me think of the name of some movie star goes here".

This also has the advantage that you're showing an association made by the POV, narrating, or talking character within the story; not making something that can reasonably be construed as a statement of fact about someone in the real world. That alone should go a long way, though not necessarily all the way, toward alleviating e.g. libel concerns.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Phylliss352

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best