bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: Who translates made-up words from popular fiction into other languages? When an author produces a popular fictional work (take Harry Potter) that's translated into many languages not native to - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

This is, indeed, the translator's job.
For example, here's Gili Bar-Hilel, talking about translating the Harry Potter books into Hebrew:

Fantasy books are often full of imaginary words created by the author and I am curious how you go about translating such words. Do you rewrite them in Hebrew, make up your own words to replace them, or use some other method?
GB: I play it by ear, depending on my understanding of the original. When an author is as playful and inventive as Rowling, I feel the translation should be playful and inventive as well, and I enjoy making up my own words. But sometimes invented words are just a brand name or something pseudo-scientific, and the Hebrew should follow that as well.

That being said, translators may be constrained by the translations of previous books in a series -- I've heard them complain about clumsy choices made by their predecessors...

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Cody1607638

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best