bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : How do experienced writers introduce the topic sentence halfway or near the end of the paragraph? I have repeatedly come across the comment that experienced writers are able to put their topic - selfpublishingguru.com

10.02% popularity

I have repeatedly come across the comment that experienced writers are able to put their topic sentence anywhere in a paragraph, but I wonder what that looks like and how they are able to do this. How would one go about accomplishing that? What would such a paragraph look like?

Load Full (1)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Cofer669

1 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

10% popularity

Some paragraphs do have a "topic sentence" right at the beginning. This tells you what you are about to read. Then the rest of the paragraph expands or explains that general idea. There's nothing wrong with that as a structure.

There are many other possible structures used in the world of writing, however. One commonly used structure in essays is the funnel paragraph. A funnel paragraph starts out very general and becomes increasingly more specific. You can thus write a paragraph where the topic sentence comes at the very end.

Truthfully speaking, there are a lot of "rules" that you learn when first writing that help you understand structure, or that keep you from being too unfocused, but that can be discarded as you gain proficiency. For example, consider starting a paragraph with some general context. The actual topic sentence that best summarizes your paragraph can be placed right in the middle. You can then follow it up with some additional info, such as the fact that a paragraph can still be coherent, even if there isn't any one single unambiguous topic sentence.

Load Full (0)