bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: How do I make a concluding sentence flow from the previous sentence? This question was flagged as being similar to another question of mine, so I have to clarify that this question pertains - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

Keeping in mind that the purpose of a concluding sentence is to tie the initial argument of the paragraph together, I like to think of my concluding sentence as the elevator pitch summary of my supporting arguments and how they support my main argument or point.

On purpose of conclusions: here & here

To begin a writing a concluding sentence consider the paragraphs main point and supporting points. This doesn't necessarily have to correspond to each individual sentence, as one should look at the broader idea that the paragraph is trying to convey (details aren't critical to restate in a conclusion...and rather shouldn't!). From here I recommend constructing a sentence - maximum two sentences should ever be needed to conclude a paragraph - that summarizes these points using synonymous words and phrases (i.e. try not to repeat for verbatim what was previously said in the paragraph) that explicitly or implicitly support and refer to the purpose of the paragraph.

Harvard University's Strategies: here

Because of this, I have trouble beginning concluding sentences with anything other than "For these reasons", "Thus", or "Therefore" as well, and I also wonder if I should use such words to begin each conclusion.

In regards to the above portion of the question, I agree that words such as thus and therefore can become quickly overused in conclusions and make the flow between supporting sentences and conclusion seem obvious. I encourage utilizing the technique of ending paragraphs with a transitional statement to the following paragraph and concluding essays with a strong final thought or question. By doing so the essay feels less formulaic and greatly contributes to the flow of the writing.

On Writing Effective Conclusions: here

Since we are on the topic on conclusions...make sure not to include new supporting points or details that weren't previously discussed. Think about the concluding sentence as the end to a party, you wouldn't introduce a friend to your group at the end of a party...so don't introduce new information in your conclusion.

On good practices of conclusion writing: here

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Sarah872

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best