bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: How do I convey that a relationship is platonic? I've been toying around with the idea of writing a novel. The story revolves around two characters, one male and one female, and the perspective - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

Disclaimer: If your goal is to keep your readers from shipping your characters, you are out of luck. Readers are going to try and pair them no matter what you do. The fact that Ron x Voldemort fanfics exist is proof enough of that. That said, there are numerous ways to demonstrate a platonic relationship.

Give the characters incompatible orientations

If your girl doesn't like boys, or your boy doesn't like girls, then most readers will deduce pretty quickly that they aren't going to fall into bed any time soon.

I know of at least on case where this was done. Carrie Vaughn made one of the characters in the Kitty Norville series gay to help define his relationship to the main character. She then proceeded to incorporate his orientation as an important part of who he is. This is important. It's okay to define a character's orientation in order to meet a plot point, but you must then seek to understand how the character's orientation has affected who they are and the life they have lived. You can't just tack it on and hope it sticks.

Have another character assume that they are in a romantic relationship

And when the third character mentions their assumption to one (or both) of the pair, let the pair's reaction do all the talking. (Bursting out laughing is generally a good indication of a platonic relationship).

This gives you a natural way to hang a lantern on the issue in the story without it feeling unnatural.

Have the pair discuss their romantic lives with each other

Who do you go to for romantic advice if not your best friend? If your pair is discussing together the people they are interested in romantic relationships with, then it should quickly become clear that each other are not on the list.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Pierce369

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best