bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: Can I include Acknowledgement page in a novel? I am a new author and I want to mention names of people who helped during my writing. Can I include Acknowledgement page in a novel? I looked - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

Yes, I've seen acknowledgements in novels, it's not uncommon.

Bear in mind that this is mostly a way to express gratitude to the people who helped you, putting their names in print. Readers other than the people you mention likely won't care. So keep it brief, like, "I'd like to thank my friend Sally Jones for proof-reading the manuscript. She had many helpful suggestions." And leave it at that. No one wants to read the story of How I Overcame All the Obstacles to Getting This Story Published. (Unless you have a really unusual and interesting story, I suppose.)

I'd avoid listing more than 3 or 4 people because that would get tedious.

Occasionally writers try to make the acknowledgements amusing in some way, because they have a tendency to be pretty dry.

On non-fiction, it's common to add a disclaimer like "Any remaining mistakes are, of course, my own responsibility". Probably mostly to avoid making it sound like you're just naming these people to share blame. I don't know if any such disclaimer would be appropriate in a novel.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Annie587

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best