bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Scrivener 3 capitalization issue with dialogue tags I just a typed this piece of diaglogue in Scrivener 3.0.2 (1504) “Certainly.”, she replied cheerfully and vanished. Scrivener is auto-correcting/auto-captializing - selfpublishingguru.com

10.03% popularity

I just a typed this piece of diaglogue in Scrivener 3.0.2 (1504)

“Certainly.”, she replied cheerfully and vanished.

Scrivener is auto-correcting/auto-captializing (not sure which) 'She' as shown below.

“Certainly.” She replied cheerfully and vanished.

I'm not sure if this is a bug or a option that I don't understand. Is there a way of fixing this issue relative to dialog that doesn't involved turning off auto-correct globally?

UPDATE: based on answers, if remove the erroneous comma, when I type:

“Certainly.” she replied cheerfully and vanished.

Scrivener still auto corrects to

“Certainly.” She replied cheerfully and vanished.

However, per the answer about using comma's within quotes, if I type:

“Certainly,” she replied cheerfully and vanished.

Scrivener doesn't correct anything. This seems to be inline with the American style of dialogue described below.

Load Full (3)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Jessie137

3 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

10% popularity

I won't repeat what's already been said in terms of what you're typing being a mistake in punctuation.

But what you can do (although I would advise against it since it's helping to identify a problem) is to turn off Scrivener's Fix capitalization of sentences option, under the Corrections > Auto-Capitalization section. (On the Windows 3 beta anyway.)

That would stop the kind of correction you've identified from happening. However, it would also stop it from automatically capitalizing the first letter in any sentence that's typed in lowercase.

Load Full (0)

10% popularity

Stick with either the American or the British way for dealing with punctuation around quotations marks.

American style puts commas and periods within double quotations marks (style.mla.org; blog.apastyle.org):

“Certainly,” she replied cheerfully and vanished.

Using a period within the quotation marks would indicate an end of the sentence in American style. That's why Scrivener is auto-capitalizing.

British style puts commas and periods outside single quotation marks:

'Certainly', she replied cheerfully and vanished.

Load Full (0)

10% popularity

Because “certainly.”, is incorrect. It’s either a period or a comma—not both.

Load Full (0)