bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: How to differentiate narration and thoughts in the first person POV? I am writing a first-person story, and I am having trouble showing the difference between narration and the thoughts of the - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

So, between what my high school creative writing teacher told me was the norm, and what I've been doing personally, I recommend using normal text for narration, and italics for thoughts.

In a story I'm writing, I have the main character is retelling the story and someone is writing it down. (And since most stories are written in past tense, this should apply for your format). Most of the text is narration from this "future" perspective, and is formatted as normal text, but in some cases the character/me (the author), also shares their thoughts, from that exact time, and I signify that with italics.

Paragraph from said story.

Then the door started to slowly open. Holy crap! I thought, This is crazy! Where the hell did the door come from? Of course the door could have just been my imagination. In that other world, I had always been having weird dreams, and strange imaginings of magic and of another world. It reminded me of the doorway to Narnia, or was that a wardrobe? I can’t remember anymore. But then I remembered, Narnia, is just a story, fake, not real.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Barnes643

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best