bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: The psychology of starting a piece of writing I have a problem when it comes to writing (blog posts, stories and novels). It might just be me, but maybe other people have experienced it too? - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

I've been trying another approach recently.

I hit a brick wall with a story when I don't know what to write, I've been working on getting around that by trying to outline my story before I sit down. If I can't maintain focus through the outline then I won't be able to maintain it throughout the writing process!

First I try to scope the story. What am I looking for? A short story? A novel? Something in between?

What tempo do I want to set? 2000 word chapters? 8000 words?

My idea usually includes a character or two and a very broad story arc, so I start plotting these into the chapters.

I find a chapter structure helps me. I often have an opening scene (about 10% to 20% of the chapter's word count), a first and second part (about 30% to 40%) and then a closing scene. This helps me keep structure and tempo but if a particular chapter needs to break the rules - that's ok!

For each scene I create three bullet points. These are:

What's going on.
What the conflict is (this can be something as trivial as the character burning themselves on a kettle through to a fatality).
What each character wants during the scene (as the phrase goes - even if it's only a glass of water).

If I don't know these three things before I start the scene I don't write it. This also means that when I do write a scene (anything from about 200-2000 words) I already have the tools I need and the writing is much, much easier.

TLDR:

If you know what you're going to write before you start, you can put your effort into the words than the ideas.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Nimeshi163

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best