bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: How to organically and believably introduce the tools and skills necessary to survive after an apocalypse? So I'm writing an urban fantasy story about the modern day after a mysterious unknown - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

I've recently read "The Power" and it deals with a very similar problem to the one you are facing, but with a different premise: All women on Earth gain a long-lost power to discharge energy. Men do not have the vestigial organ that allows this function.

This occurrence, of women able to electrocute men at will, flips the world on its head, every power structure changes, and the author explores the dozens of way this new female ability changes human society.

So how did this 'magic' emerge believably? The author explains the emergence of this as a result of chemicals put into the water system during WWII. This past act altered the development of female fetuses, I believe, so that a vestigial organ becomes functional. Women and men already have gender-specific organs. The reader buys the premise.

In other words, you need a device.

In terms of explaining the device without it being an info dump - Read the book. The author uses a variety of techniques, not an info dump per se. The info is spread through many means. Including ... the ability emerges in a variety of ways, over a couple years, and each emergence allows a little more of the mechanism to be explained.

I suggest this book for your dilemma. Your library may have a copy.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Kaufman555

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best