bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Breaking the Fourth Wall in Creative Non-Fiction I went to see Deadpool 2 at the weekend and it got me thinking about fourth wall awareness in my own writing, specifically in creative non-fiction - selfpublishingguru.com

10.02% popularity

I went to see Deadpool 2 at the weekend and it got me thinking about fourth wall awareness in my own writing, specifically in creative non-fiction that's based on my own life.

According to the first site linked to above, fourth wall awareness is:

The ability to be aware that one's Universe is fictional, and
potentially use this to act in otherwise impossible ways within their
fictional universe.

When I make myself the focus of a piece of writing, it's pretty clear (mostly) that the events are set in 'reality', but what if they're not? I mean, imagine that this universe is just a kind of play that is being staged for the benefit of beings from a higher dimension. If that were so, then it should be possible to break the forth wall on my own experience here.

But I'm not entirely sure if I can make this work. Perhaps I would just create a contradiction in terms somehow.

So my question is: what techniques could I use when writing a piece of creative non-fiction about myself that would enable me to effectively break the fourth wall and yet still make the piece viable to its readers?

Research: It's not at all relevant to my needs, but this question is a wonderful collection of thoughts around breaking the fourth wall: Can a writer joke with the reader without breaking the fourth wall?

Load Full (1)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Steve161

1 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

10% popularity

The fourth wall has someone on the other side. Typically, it's a contemporary reader/spectator anchored in "true" reality. If you want to direct this break towards some non-human aliens, that's for sure will be creative, but has to be executed right.

A popular alternative to a "generic reader" is a "concrete reader (listener)". The story is started as a narration (like, for example, "The princess bride" is a fairy tale that is read to a child). Then, during the course of the story, narrator can routinely break the fourth wall and discuss specific concerns with his/her audience.

However, a young boy is still a much more conventional audience than aliens. You may need to stop often to explain some trivial things, which can turn out either boring or amusing, I think you just have to try and see.

Load Full (0)