logo selfpublishingguru.com

topic : Re: Fantasy novel with obvious - but never defined - sci-fi elements? I'm considering writing a fantasy novel. While I'm striving to make the world as original as I can, and not rely on many of

Dunderdale623 @Dunderdale623

You are not the first writer to do this.

A prime example is the “Prince of Nothing” series by Scott Bakker. It belongs to the medieval fantasy genre, but in the later parts something is revealed that is clearly a crashed spaceship.

Maybe you want to read some books that feature this concept to see what works and what doesn’t.

I personally would suggest to not overload your reader. No cowboys + ninjas + aliens + pirates. The “song of ice and fire” books do this very well. There are subtle hints that some supernatural seeming elements might have a scientific explanation, there are subtle references to different genres like lovecraftian horror, but it all stays at the edges.

Also be careful to not switch genre mid-book. For example many readers objected to the supernatural elements introduced in later books of the "Dexter" series of crime novels.

10% popularity Vote Up Vote Down

0 Reactions   React

Replies (0) Report

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

SelfPubGuruLearn self publishing
Back to top | Use Dark Theme