bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: Fantasy novel with obvious - but never defined - sci-fi elements? I'm considering writing a fantasy novel. While I'm striving to make the world as original as I can, and not rely on many of - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

Keep in mind that "SF" does not necessarily have to mean starships or phasers. It can simply involve a world in which "magic" and "technology" exist side by side. One doesn't need to "win" over the other any more than the Cola Wars need to end. Can Gandalf use a PC (especially a slightly futuristic one that would constitute an SF element)? Sure, if they exist, he can. Does a PC make his magic obsolete? Does his magic supersede any possible benefit of using a PC? Surely not!

One example of a successful mixture of science fiction and fantasy is the Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU). It has more or less "pure" SF stories (Guardians of the Galaxy) alongside primarily SF-based superheroes (Iron Man and Captain America) and more traditional fantasy stories with magic (Doctor Strange and Thor). Some of the characters have no magic whatsoever or even superpowers as they are traditionally understood, relying solely on advanced tech (Iron Man). Some have super powers which they augment with tech (Captain America, Black Panther, Spider Man). Some are magic users (Doctor Strange). Some are your stereotypical scurvy space pirates, arr.

Take a look at how they are intertwined. Each of the sub-stories exists to some extent as its own, but there are regular references to a broader, expansive world. At one point, Thor is exiled from his more or less swords-and-sorcery fantasy homeland and finds himself in spaaaaaace, battling an Evil Space Overlord and aquiring his cool starship.

When Thor goes to space, it doesn't become an "OMGWTF space?" moment. It's treated as entirely normal that there is SF stuff out there, and that Thor can find some way to function.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Heady158

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best