bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: What software can I use to synchronize corrections and modifications over similar documents? I'm currently working on a large thesis, from which I derive some smaller publications such as papers. - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

WinMerge can help you manually merge documents. It can compare two text documents, highlight similar lines and lines that are slightly different and it allows you to quickly choose which version to keep on a line by line basis.

If you want to automate this process and also keep history and be able to switch between different versions and choose what to merge - use version control systems like SVN or git. (And you may also want some GUI for them like TortoiseSVN/TortoiseGit or SourceTree)
This software merges files automatically in the most obvious cases (i.e. in one version you added a new sentence at line 8 and in the other version you deleted a paragraph at line 18 - the software will keep both changes) and prompts you to merge manually if there is some ambiguity (you edited the same line in both versions).

Here is my personal favourite tutorial on git: www.atlassian.com/git It is a little geared towards using online hosting (GitHub/GitLab/BitBucket/...) which you may or may not need. But it does a good job explaining different git workflows.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Yeniel532

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best